Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sentimental Journey



We left Thomasville for Oklahoma on Halloween.
How fitting that the next two days are All Soul's Day, All Saint's Day,
the day we are transporting Mr Meacham to Mrs Meacham in their eternal resting place,
as WELL as a huge home OU football game!


This is the Meacham homeplace where John's grandparents (Mom and Pop he called them) raised their children, Martie and Ferrell who were born in 1924 and 1926. John recalled visiting when he was young, walking across the street with his Grandfather to see the dinosuers in his office in the Science department of Oklahoma University Being the first Grandson, I can imagine how Pop felt with litle John in tow. (VERY PROUD)
Mr Meacham (Ferrell) talked of 712 Lindsey St many times in the past few years. A few times, he would be half awake, half asleep, mentally back in this house, talking to Martie who he loved SO much. (called her a *spitfire* sister)

This is how close the Meacham Homeplace was to the University. I believe you might could watch the football games from the upstairs rooms on 712 Lindsey. John pointed out exactly which room was which from the outside, and noted the huge backyard that his father hated mowing as a child!

John's reaction to this downtown theatre was hilarious! I think that Brother Jack may have been present as well, due to the closeness of age. Anyway, John recalls going here to see Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Movies! He had a Cowboy hat, western shirt, jeans and COWBOY boots! Amazingly enough, we did visit a Western Store in Oklahoma City. John selected a *Crocodile Dundee* hat, the Cowboy Specials were not him any more I guess.
We would have simply stopped and visited if the town were not filling FAST with
tailgaters and football fans.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Wendy said...

O.K. I need you to tell me how you get the photos to post in between the text. I can only seem to get my pictures do upload before my text and I haven't figured out the trick! :) Wendy

Meachamania said...

This is a hoot... a message to myself I guess, when all else fails~
So where did the reaction line come from, what is it and most importantly, HOW do I get rid of it???

Jen Paris said...

Reaction line? What do you mean, maybe (big maybe) I can help...anyways, I got on here to tell you how thrilled I am that you had such a great trip. I loved reading about it. I took the funniest picture tonight, I'll send it to your email. The kids were both in bed...supposedly asleep. I went upstairs to check on them and Addison was sound asleep in her bed with Carter, WIDE AWAKE, in bed next to her.