You would not believe your eyes
If ten million fireflies
Lit up the world as I fell asleep
'Cause they'd fill the open air
And leave teardrops everywhere
You'd think me rude
But I would just stand and stare
Lit up the world as I fell asleep
'Cause they'd fill the open air
And leave teardrops everywhere
You'd think me rude
But I would just stand and stare
G'Dau Sky is an Owl City Fan! While visiting one September weekend, we did a search to see if *Owl City* might be performing any where near us in the future. We learned that no matter where they were performing for the next year, all events were already sold out.....except one....and that was in Salt Lake City, Utah! That was interesting since we already had a trip planned in October.... so when was the event there?? WHOA!!!! It just HAPPENED to be the date we were going to BE THERE!!! That really was too much to ignore the possibilities! SO, we managed to get tickets and I thought Sky might have a coronary event before her 13th Birthday! Combined with a visit to see her cousin Tyson's Baptism, see all of her relatives including Carter that she has not seen in two years, meet the Paris Family AND see *Owl City* in person???
What a treat!
The concert was Sunday evening at Murray Theater, which proved to be a Disney approved location, safe for children etc. After everything was all planned, we learned that the venue changed to a larger building, conveniently name *The Venue*, due to the number of tickets sold! (that should have been a clue)
We arrived 2 hours before the event, planning to visit the concessions for dinner, and got there to see a line longer than we could see! The picture above is the line in front of them!! (I use the term *them* as Papa John and I stayed in the car instead of standing in line with Ranes, Braydon, Tyson and Sky, who was so excited she was willing to stand in line alone!
(Uncle Ranes was not willing to allow her to do that so HE got to be the only one over 30 in line with thousands of pre-teens!)
...and the line BEHIND them....
We finally got inside, nearly broke our necks at the several different levels, some dance floor, some stage type, some just a step up or a step down! (ok, so that may have just been the old lady in me trying to walk in a darkened room). Our security guide and bouncer (Officer R.A.N.E.S) had us hold tight to the first post that we could all lean on while he went to scout the place out, hopefully find us some seats! I really just wanted to sit down and catch my breath from the admission process, John, Braydon Tyson and Sky were all wide eyed taking it all in! John has been to more concerts than he can count (Beach Boys 14 times) so I think he was only shocked that there didn't appear to be an area for seating. Having said all of this, the other million pre-teens were buzzing around as if everythings was *normal*. The picture above shows our happiest faces as our bouncer came back and retrieved us, had located us a place against a wall with some other parents with children. We had SPACE for a while, I took off to get in the tee-shirt line, Ranes found our *dinner*, chips and cokes, all that was available (and NO diet, can you believe?) By the time this picture was taken, we were fed, comfortable, excited and I had a stack of Tee shirts in my lap!! (silly G'Ma)
OFFICER R.A.N.E.S~Private Body Guard
I believe that we were the safest people in the house! Ranes stood guard (literally) to make sure we were not so much as looked at, much less harmed!
THANKS OFFICER!!!
His picture expresses his response to the crowd, the darkness, the lack of seats and the possibly lack of safety for children or old folks! Before Owl City came on stage, several announcements were made to inform all 1500 occupants in a 100 occupant room that there was a balcony/bar over our heads that was available for all over 21. If anyone used it, the room got no less crowded. Of course the professional in me began to wonder what the Fire Marshall would say/do about this situation! I believe laws were broken!! (don't tell the kids) Then again, I recall the Atlanta Roadway Concert, summer of 1968, Janis Joplin, and we survived!
Owl City finally took their place and we enjoyed over an hour of their excellent music!
The favorite was clearly *Fireflies* which they saved for LAST!!
I'd like to make myself believe
That planet Earth turns slowly
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay
Awake when I'm asleep
'Cause everything is never as it seems
'Cause I'd get a thousand hugs
From ten thousand lightning bugs
As they tried to teach me how to dance
That planet Earth turns slowly
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay
Awake when I'm asleep
'Cause everything is never as it seems
'Cause I'd get a thousand hugs
From ten thousand lightning bugs
As they tried to teach me how to dance
Short of Sky's sore throat with fever the next morning, I think the children had a great time and the adults will know better next time ;) I am positive the pictures, tee shirts and tales to tell will last a lifetime, none of us will forget *Owl City*, and some of us may be leary of concerts in the future that sell general admission tickets only! ALL have a great respect for the expensive version of reserved seating...way to go!! (bet the Fire Marshall likes it better too, LOL, actually it was a bit like getting a thousand hugs from 10 thousand lightening bugs! How cool is that??
We honestly enjoyed watching the kids enjoy!







No comments:
Post a Comment