Sunday, April 13, 2008

Carter's Blessing


I learned of *Blessings* from my daughter-in-law Heather, when my Grandson Braydon was Blessed. I was present for that one, in 1999, missed Tyson and Kayleigh's so was very determined to be present for Carter's, even though he was adopted by not blood relatives, but HEART relatives.  Nevertheless, this Blessing was an event that will be a part of my blood and soul for my lifetime to be sure.  Carter is my daughter Blace's birth son. She loved him so much that she wanted him to have an excellent life that she was not able to provide, as did we all. I write these things a year after the fact and can barely hold back tears of joy as it has been one of the greatest experiences of my life to learn that all of us are of God and have a purpose. 
Before the Blessing, the adoption was final, the Family Sealing was the day before, and I was in town for the first time since Papa John and I took Carter to Utah to his awesome family in September 2007. My heart was raw on my sleeves as I wanted so to hold and hug him as I had before he left us. You know children, they forget, and I knew that in all ways except that tiny little part that makes us human and desire recognition from loved ones. 
Needless to say, he had no clue who I was, so I admit that I chased him unmercifully all over his yard taking pictures of him with such rapid sucession I could not even keep count. I think I thought I was taking a piece of him home with me that day as it would be the last I saw him.
~NOT~
In reality, I have two other grandchildren that have been adopted as well, sister's of Carter, Lacey, born March 2, 1999 and Sky, born July 8th, 1997.  Adoption is handled in different ways by different adoptive parents, one being fearful that birth parents are going to create problems and another that the children may be forced to go back to birth parents. I can clearly understand that fear even though unfounded in my case as I genuinely have nothing but a desire to be a Grandmother to my Grandchildren, all of them.
Through Jen and Marty's help as well as their friends, The Ormsbys, I have become familiar with a view point that reveres the birth mother, the birth family, and considers the unselfish act of the birth mother a very great honor to them as they have gifted them with a child. 
If this had been my first experience, I would not have been so surprised, but it was my third and my first two had both been disappointing as if my intentions were not well taken. I mostly had kept a smile pasted on my face as if nothing were wrong, all the while saying a prayer that all will be well in the end.
ANYWAY, this is not about me, it is about Carter and HIS day!!


Carter all dressed up for the occasion. The Blessing itself took place at Jen and Marty's Church in West Jordon.  Ranes, Heather, Braydon, Tyaon and Kayleigh and myself were at the church before Marty and Jen arrived with Carter and Addison. Jen came in and handed me Carter, a million pound package of love in my arms and it wiggled!!  He was very active before the service, going from person to person visiting, greeting all with *HI*, and finally settling with his parents for the service. His Blessing was one of the first things, and he did not surprise us when Marty was talking (praying?) and Carter, in his arms, reached out and grabbed both of Marty's cheeks as they moved with his speech. Luckily, Marty is a professional at bringing little arms under control, so now he had to manage two little arms and a microphone, of which Carter spoke a fews utterances as well.  The congregation was as in love with Carter as I was, another heartwarmer. 
They are so proud that Jen and Marty have this little new one. 
Then came the testimonies and I regret that I could not hear a lot from my position but the gist was very beautiful, especially that of Jen, Marty and Jen's Mother.  At one point, a lot of folks were shedding tears of joy, Kleenex were being passed, Carter found his own little pack and went from row to row, passing out the Kleenex to everyone sniffling~ so precious.  When communion was served, a tray of bread came around. I took the customary one piece and allowed Carter to do the same, he reached out and grabbed a HANDFUL and had it in his mouth chomping before I could react at all!  I am just not as fast as Marty!  

I wanted a picture of myself with Carter really bad, he was totally not interested, and someone, still not sure, read my mind and took the shot. I treasure this one as he is not fighting to get away, LOL.  Again, I felt like this was a final occasion,not sure why, my own fear I guess.

Teamwork!!  I never told of the day!!  Friends and relatives of the Paris Family were invited to their house after Church to celebrate with a meal, some fun including slides, trampoline, swingsets, and plenty of adult conversation.  It was a warm day and Carter actually needed sunscreen on his shoulders and face!  Jen had a large bottle on the table and Ranes would apply generous amounts to his little shoulders and neck. Carter liked it so much that he kept coming back for more!!  Uncle Ranes has great gentle hands! After we ate, a lot of basketball was played, Tyson and Carter had a good time sweeping the slab with this huge broom. Tyson like to push, Carter liked to ride. 

I think I took Carter by surprise, this is one of my shots that I sneaked up on him to get. I carefully waited for him to get to the top of the slide (he could not see me as he climbed) so my appearance with a camera kind of surprised him.  He graciously gave me .5 seconds to click before he flew to the bottom!

Braydon and Tyson, all clean, dressed in white shirts, hair handsome and ready for Church.
 I Love seeing them like this!

Ranes and family ready for Church, Braydon took the picture!


This was taken at Ranes house as we got ready for Church. Kayleigh and I had the same colors on and she is holding her banana friend. (See Grandma's day out for that story)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: